First Date | October 14, 2013

It has been quite awhile and my apologies. I am going to work on doing better at documenting us and my thoughts. 

This last week, I have been thinking about a year ago when my life completely changed for the better. Last year on Sunday, October 13, I returned home from a trip with my family from Vegas. Colton told me he needed to fill me in on the meeting that I had missed that morning. I was immediately excited to have a reason to go see him. We still had not been on a date, I was dying to get to know him more, and I would make any excuse I could to "accidentally" run into him. That night we discussed what happened in the meeting- with some flirting here and there. It took about 10 minutes and I did not want to leave. I started asking him some more personal questions regarding his past and future. After about an hour of talking, he explained to me that he needed to get some homework done. I was devastated. I could have talked to him all night long. I was totally intrigued. He hooked me, by asking if I wanted to finish our conversation over his favorite dessert on Monday night. WOOT WOOT! A date- FINALLY! Keep in mind, this was after quite a few weeks of flirting.  He wouldn't tell me where we were going, but I was excited for our "first date" to finally happen.

He picked me up on Monday and my roommates were already suspicious- they could definitely tell that I was into him. We were told by my roommates and friends at the apartment, that we needed to be home by midnight and we both obliged. 

In the car, he made me try to guess where we were going. After a few failed attempts, I got it! We were off to Chili's to get his favorite dessert-Chocolate Molten Lava Cake. 

We sat and shared this dessert talking about our lives, future plans for school and work, and even some random questions. We did not even realize what time it was, until one of the Chili's waiters had to come and tell us it was time to close up. I couldn't even believe how fast time had flown and we barely even knew each other. We got in the car and wanted to keep talking. We drove down to Utah Lake and talked for hours. It was so fun to hear about his family, his mission, his favorite vacations, crazy police stories, and so much more. 

Neither of us even realized what time it was, but it was definitely after the curfew we obliged to. Man was it a good night. We could have talked all night long if we didn't have curfew or school and work the next day. When he hugged me goodnight he apologized for keeping me out so late (such a gentleman thing to do), and told me we would have to do it again soon. 

Little did I know at that point- that I just went on my last first date and it was more than I could have ever imagined. The impact that he has had on my life is miraculous. I am so lucky to have met him and been able to start our memories together with such a fun, relaxed, first date.

Ask Colton now, and he will say that he rarely, if ever, did he take a girl on a first date and have it last longer than 3 hours. He knew when our date went for almost 6 hours, that there something was different.


Now it's amazing to see where we have come! I love my life and love that he asked me on that first date to get his favorite dessert.

Tell me your first date story with your spouse, fiancé, or boyfriend.

xoxo
Natalie

2 comments:

  1. And shortly after that...you two showed up on a Jazz date...and were so kind to come and see me!!!
    (Probably to show off your great catch!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric and I went to a BYU Football game and Schlotzsky's Deli for our first date ;) We just celebrated our 15th Wedding Anniversary the end of July and he took me to a Schlotzsky's Deli up here in Salt Lake! However I told him I was more in the mood for Brick Oven, so we went there instead ;) He even tried to get hold of a BYU football game for us to watch that night!

    ReplyDelete